Mobile Search Optimization – “Key in 2014 Pay Attention”
Matt Cutts during his Pubcon talk said “Mobile is huge, and will be key in 2014, so pay attention to it.” and to that I say, finally!
Yes, there really is such a thing as “mobile SEO”, despite what all the others in the industry say, you need to get with the mobile SEO program AND FAST!
In putting together a program for my client, for 2014, I am reminded about the those that said Mobile SEO isn’t anything we should focus on. In fact just a few years ago, like around 2010, I recall putting together a mobile strategy for my previous employer and those were the days when the question was “should we buy a .mobi TLD?” The answer was “no” you should not. Long story short, it was a difficult process, what pages should be on the m dot site, which should not? Today, we have a new set of rules and guidelines provided to us by both Bing and Google.
In summary here’s what you need to do:
1. Determine which is best for your site, is it a responsive design or separate M. site?
2. Test, test and do some more testing – learn what your visitors are looking for via mobile search, what do they need there that they wouldn’t search for on the desktop site?
3. If you decide to move to a responsive design, be sure to plan well ahead. Depending on how many pages you have on your separate mobile site, this could be a considerable undertaking and could undue stress and strain on your developers and design teams.
4. Provide all SEO best practices to your mobile pages always - that should go without saying, but I had to say it.
5. Check your Google Analytics – how is your mobile search visitation? What are the largest referring domains? Is there anything new you can learn and apply today?
Last but not least, I thought I would share with you something from Ali Husayni- the Matt Cutts talk from the last PubCon 2013.
Enjoy and as always I welcome any and all feedback, good, bad or ugly.